REMINDER: THE RED & WHITE WILL NOT BE SENT ON MARCH 31 DURING SPRING BREAK.
GRADING PERIOD ENDS TODAY
The fifth six-week grading period ended today, Friday, March 24. By the afternoon of Friday, April 7, report cards will be available for viewing on RaiderNet. These grades are progress grades, and will not be reflected on transcripts. To view and print the online report card, login to RaiderNet, click on (Your Student's Name) Grades and click on Report Card.
TENTATIVE SCHOOL CALENDAR 2017-18 DATES
We have begun work on the school calendar for 2017-18 and would like to share the most important dates with you. Please realize that this is a work in progress and that all dates are subject to change. We will provide more detailed updates later in the spring. Here are tentative dates for 2017-18.
NEW MEDICAL EQUIPMENT AVAILABLE AT RJ
Through a generous donation from a current parent, RJ received ground-breaking medical first aid equipment developed by Mobilize Rescue Systems. We are only the second school in the country to have this equipment. After several years of research involving doctors, FEMA employees, fire fighters and other emergency response professionals, these 13 first aid kits contain the essential supplies to allow our faculty and staff to respond to emergencies properly while waiting for first responders to arrive. A unique feature of the kit is that it contains an iPad that has an app with instructions to assist in 85 different medical situations. While all coaches and many staff are certified by the American Red Cross for first aid, this software is an additional tool when responding to a medical situation. Each RJ employee also has the app on their smart phone. Access to this app will also be provided to students as they are trained over the course of the 2017-18 school year. 9NEWS recently aired a story about the installation of Mobilize Rescue Systems at Regis Jesuit.
FINANCIAL AID APPLICATIONS DUE APRIL 15
All financial aid awards are need-based at Regis Jesuit High School. We utilize the FACTS Grant & Aid Assessment Application to determine the extent of need. A financial aid decision will be granted only to families who have completed the Assessment Application and had their income tax information verified. A portion of every financial aid grant awarded is in the form of a mandatory work-grant. Families applying for financial aid for the 2017-18 school year must complete the FACTS Grant & Aid application and send their completed 2016 tax return to FACTS by April 15.
Regis Jesuit has always required financial information from both custodial and non-custodial parents to be submitted when a family is requesting financial aid. We are now considering exceptions to this policy that can be made in appropriate situations—typically when there is truly only one parent in the child’s life. If you are a single parent and need to request a waiver of a second parent’s information, please complete the Second Parent Information Waiver Request and submit to Bob Capstick, Controller. Please address additional questions directly to Bob Capstick, 303.269.8048.
Families currently receiving financial aid must re-apply each year with FACTS. CLICK HERE to review the requirements and start the process.
SUMMER LEADERSHIP OPPORTUNITIES FOR STUDENTS
GET INVOLVED WITH antLARKtica
Is your son or daughter interested in learning more about leadership and how to incorporate the qualities of leadership into his or her life? Then you may want to learn more about these national and international leadership academies. Several Regis Jesuit students have attended and found the programs to be inspirational and life-changing.
National Leadership Academy (NLA) is a four-day academy for high school students. NLA features world-class speakers, opportunities to serve others, and outdoor team-building for students from across the country. NLA builds service-minded and heart-led students by developing their leadership skills, inspiring purpose and empowering them to make a difference.
Global Youth Leadership Academy (GYLA) is a week-long world-class, educational and experiential learning program that teaches international student participants leadership skills, global and cultural awareness and a commitment to servant leadership.
Volunteering for LARK, Regis Jesuit’s biggest fundraising event, is a fantastic way to be a part of the Regis Jesuit community. Please consider joining us in one (or more!) of the following ways to help make antLARKticaa success:
- Team Photo Signing Day: Help facilitate student-athletes sign their team photo on April 18. Volunteers are needed between 9:00 am-1:30 pm in both the BD and GD. Sign-up for a time slot here.
- Registration Packet Stuffing: Help stuff the LARK registration packets. This will take place on April 27, 4:00-6:00 pm in GD Room 228. Sign-up here.
- Day Before LARK: If you are able to help at any point during the day on April 28, the Advancement Office is looking for volunteers for multiple tasks to finalize preparations for LARK the next day. We will need volunteers to help decorate and set-up the Denver Mart, as well people to load and transport items from Regis Jesuit to the Denver Mart. Contact Riley Peick for more information and to sign-up.
- Day-Of LARK: If you, a friend, or even a student would like to volunteer to help with LARK on April 29 at the Denver Mart, we are looking for volunteers to help with setup (10:00 am), at the event (4:00 pm) as well as to clean up and tear down the event (10:00 pm). Sign up for a time slot here.
PARENT VOLUNTEER OPPORTUNITIES
Visit Parent Volunteer Opportunities to review all volunteer opportunities. Thank you for volunteering!
- After Prom: After Prom is a school-sponsored, safe and fun party for our students to enjoy immediately following Prom. Many volunteers are needed to organize, set up, facilitate and clean up. After Prom will be on April 7-8 from 11:00 pm-2:30 am at the Family Sports Center. Please help make this a fantastic event for our juniors and seniors! Sign up to volunteer! Activities at Family Sports Center will include: ice skating, broom ball, inflatable competitions, bumper cars, video games, a climbing wall as well as poker, giant Jenga, Spikeball, board games or just relaxing. An unlimited appetizer bar will be offered from 11:30 pm-1:30 am followed by a continental breakfast bar from 1:30-2:30 am. We also need your help with gift card donations for giveaways during the event. Please sign up to donate gift cards and needed items. For questions, please contact us at email@example.com. Thank you for your help in making After Prom an exciting and safe event!
- Raider Shop: We need your help volunteering in our Raider Shop located in the Steele Center. We are open from 12:00-4:00 pm each school day. We have two volunteer slots each day, one from 12:00-2:00 pm and another from 2:00-4:00 pm. Sign up to volunteer and help with sales and stocking as needed.
- New Parent Navigators: We are looking for volunteers to participate in a mentorship program for families joining the RJ community in the 2017-18 school year! Volunteers will contact new families from the Class of 2021 and help them understand and navigate all the information they are receiving as a Regis Jesuit parent. The goal is to help these families feel less overwhelmed, understand the RJ community and help them find the resources they need within the school. Outreach begins in August and will continue throughout the year. If you are interested in volunteering or would like more information, please contact Bethany Carmellini by email or at 303.269.8026.
ORDER POLOS FROM THE RAIDER SHOP
Polo shirts for Girls Division students can be ordered through June 30 through The Polo Shop at Regis Jesuit. We have sample sizes available in the Raider Shop for students to try on. Orders will not be shipped; you must pick up your order in the Raider Shop starting on Compass Day. We now have "Anytime" individual orders of the short-sleeve polos available through the Raider Shop Online for $25 plus shipping and handling which require three weeks' production and are shipped directly to your home address. Take some time to check out all of the other items we have available!
CO-DIVISIONAL MOMS CLUB MEETING—APRIL 6
Please join us for a Unification Celebration on Thursday, April 6, in the Steele Center with extended social time. Come by at 8:00 am for a warm cup of coffee and light refreshments as we receive updates about the Regis Jesuit community from our administration.
PROM: WHEN IN ROME—APRIL 7
Join us for Prom 2017, When in Rome at Infinity Park Event Center in Glendale. Doors will open at 7:30 pm and the dance is from 8:00-11:00 pm. Dress is formal, and light snacks and desserts will be served. Tickets are $40 each during the presale period, during lunch in front of the Steele Center, Monday, April 3 through Wednesday, April 5. Tickets will be available on Thursday and Friday and at the door for $45 each. Cash or check only. Please let Mrs. Blanc know if you have any questions or concerns.
AFTER PROM—APRIL 7
After you have danced the night away, head to Family Sports Center from 11:30 pm-2:30 am. Unlimited appetizer bar will be available until 1:30 am featuring mini corn dogs, pizza rolls, chicken nuggets, meatballs and fresh fruit. Then come the sweets from 1:30-2:30 am with popcorn, brownies, assorted cookies, coffee, french toast sticks, assorted bagels and muffins. And all sorts of other goodies. Lemonade, soda and water will be served through out the time.
Participate in ice skating, broom ball, inflatable races, bumper cars, video games, climbing wall, laser tag, Texas Hold 'Em, Black Jack and board games.
MOMS CLUB LENTEN DAY OF REFLECTION AND LUNCHEON—APRIL 10
Begin Holy Week by attending the annual Regis Jesuit Moms Club Lenten Reflection and Luncheon on Monday, April 10, from 9:30 am-2:00 pm. Our day will begin in the Blessed Rupert Mayer Chapel with guest speaker Dr. John Sehorn, Assistant Professor at the Augustine Institute. He will speak about Jesus, Healer of Our Wounds. We will then have Stations of the Cross with Mary the Mother of Jesus, followed by Mass celebrated by Fr. Eric Ramirez, SJ. A potluck luncheon and fellowship will follow in the Houlihan Conference Room. RSVP though SignUpGenius. Everyone is welcome!
AN EASTER VIGIL WITH THE CANTA BELLES—APRIL 11
Come celebrate the Passion of Jesus Christ through music at the Easter Vigil with the Canta Belles at 7:00 pm in the Blessed Rupert Mayer Chapel. From the Last Supper to the Resurrection, the Canta Belles will sing sacred, classical and contemporary music that reflects the greatest story ever told. Song selections include Mozart's Lacrimosa, Christopher Fox's Fly Away, and motifs by Marty Haugen. This is a wonderful way to celebrate the end of our Lenten season. Please join us!
IT'S TIME TO SLAM—APRIL 12
Movies, Videos and Poetry—Join us for the MVP SLAM on Wednesday, April 12, in The Z Theatre from 3:00-5:00 pm. Come support RJ students as they share their creativity through music, videos and poetry. The afternoon will be amazing as the students share their gifts and compete to be top in their area. No tickets are necessary; just come relax, enjoy some coffee and cookies and witness the great talents of Regis Jesuit students. Students interested in performing should stop by one of the RJ libraries to sign up. MVP in The Z!
BOYS HOPE GIRLS HOPE GIFT BASKET COLLECTION—APRIL 20
All Regis Jesuit moms are invited to join the Moms Clubs in preparing graduation gift baskets for the 13 high school graduates from Boys Hope Girls Hope. Please help by donating gift basket items or gift cards (please see signup for list of items needed). Donation boxes will be placed in Tradition Hall in each Division on April 3. Please also join us at the Boys Hope Home (6724 S. Buckley Road, Foxfield, 80016) on April 20, from 8:30-10:30 am, to assemble graduation gift baskets.
The information in the Community News section of the Red & White is provided as a service to our families and community. Inclusion in this section does not imply endorsement by Regis Jesuit High School.
BOYS HOPE GIRLS HOPE NEWS
Hodsons Gives Back Night: Dine at Hodsons Bar & Grill Southglenn on Monday, April 10, and 20% of sales will be donated to Boys Hope Girls Hope! If you'd like to have a BHGH scholar join your dinner party and help teach table manners, please email firstname.lastname@example.org. Boys Hope Girls Hope partners with families to offer academically-motivated and capable students educational support and ensure their college readiness.
Car Needed: Are you or someone you know looking to donate a car? Boys Hope Girls Hope is looking for a working four-door car in good condition for our Boys Hope and Girls Hope homes. Please contact Mary Fran Tharp at email@example.com or call our office at 720.524.2061 for more information.
PARENT INFORMATION NETWORK—APRIL 4
Join the Parent Information Network on April 4 from 9:15-11:15 for Visual Processing Beyond 20/20 with Dr. Lynn Hellerstein. For more than 35 years, international speaker and author Dr. Hellerstein has treated children with learning and reading deficits, visual processing disorders and brain injuries. One in four students has a vision problem that can have an impact on learning; however, most of these children have 20/20 eyesight. There are solutions to treating children with “hidden” vision problems.
Regis Jesuit is a member of the Parent Information Network (PIN), so all parents, school administrators and community members are welcome and encouraged to attend all PIN presentations. Meetings are the first Tuesday of every month from 9:15-11:15 am from September to May. PIN presentations are located at the Student Achievement Resource Center, 14188 E. Briarwood Ave., in Centennial. No need to RSVP—just come and bring a friend, neighbor or family member. Visit www.pinccsd.org for podcasts and meeting highlights. Continuing education certification available. Contact Susu Dugas, Programming Chair, with any questions.
Mark your calendar for PIN's upcoming event:
- May 2: Annual Brunch, at Cherry Creek Presbyterian Church
Dr. Leonard Sax, Instagram is Eating My Daughter…and My Son Won’t Stop Playing Grand Theft Auto
Monday, March 27-Friday, March 31
- Spring Break—NO CLASSES, OFFICES OPEN
Monday, April 3
- Beginning of Sixth Rotation
- WHITE DAY
Tuesday, April 4
- RED DAY
Wednesday, April 5
- One-Hour Late Start
- WHITE DAY
- GD Capstone Presentations
- Moms on Spiritual Journey, 9:00 am
- GD National Honors Society Tutoring Session, 12:25 pm
Thursday, April 6
- Academy Day
- RED DAY
- GD Capstone Presentations
- Co-Divisional Moms Club Meeting, 8:00 am
- Co-Divisional Senior Class Mass, 9:45 am
Friday, April 7
- Manresa Day—NO CLASSES
- GD Capstone Presentations
- Prom, 8:00 pm, Infinity Park Event Center
- After Prom, 11:30 pm, Family Sports Center
View the full list of upcoming events at www.regisjesuit.com/upcomingevents